Friday, September 7, 2007

Best Song Ever?

By this time, there shouldn't any surprise that I'm a mega Rush fan. I live, eat and breath all things Rush related. You could even say that I am a Rush fanboy per se; loving most everything this band has done. Yet despite all of that, I would never be as biased to label any song which Rush has composed as the best song ever. Don't get me wrong though, their song "Natural Science" is easily among the best songs ever made ;-) :-)

So then, which song do I think deserves the title of "best song ever"? Well, let me give you a few clues: It was written in 1972 by an rock English band; the entire song is 43 minutes in length and features every instrument from flutes, to synthesizers, moogs, manic drums, electric guitars and Martin acoustic guitars. It's a song which is represents oppression and goverment control and is full of political innuendos.

Any takers?

Clue #2: It sounds Celtic, Irish and even Medieval, but features the classic and brash rock sound of the 1970.

And the winner is... "Thick As A Brick" by no one other than Jethro Tull. As far as I'm concerned, this is musical genius as it's finest. This is as good as it gets. It's unparalled.


Have a listen for yourself, but do take note that this is shortened version (just 10 minutes).

No comments: