Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Vancouver vs Calgary


If you haven't followed my blog since my first post, or aren't a GermanCarZone member - you wouldn't know that I recently moved from Calgary, Alberta to Vancouver, British Columbia.

So then, how does Vancouver compare to Calgary - and how do I like it?

The cultural differences between the two are bigger than most would expect (not me though ;-).. I'm used to "cultural shock"

The people of Vancouver all appear as if they have a very layed out, cool vibe. When in truth, they are just as, if not more so hectic and insane as people from Calgary. It's quite a bullshit vibe actually, but then that isn't hard to pick up on.

What I've also noticed is that despite the massive Asian influx which Vancouver had in the 1980's, more racism exists here than it does in Calgary. The hostility still exists and it doesn't stop at out of country immigrants. They tend to have a strong disliking for Albertans ;)

I was recently at a store when I was required to show my Identification and said, here's my Alberta's licence - she remarked, "they have those up there Alberta"

I remarked - "yep and so much more."

Whether it was intended as a joke or not, it pissed me off. Oh, and don't worry, I'm not some shit kicking Albertan.

Also worth noting is the daily newspapers. They are much different than Albertan ones, in fact, unlike Alberta papers they most always feature an article on global warming.

Conservatives vs Liberals!

How the hell is this turning into a politic war? Well that's the truth, ain't it?

Actually I'd rather see articles about global warming than articles about Ralph Klein's ball cap. Which leads to the next question, am I Liberal or a Conservative? Well I believe in Kyoto and other actions inforced by the Liberals, but I'd say I stand by a few of the Liberal actions.

So I'm a: Conservalib

Vancouver

Stores:

One thing that really pisses me off about the big V is that the cost of land is so high that 80% of the people here are renting. The cost of land is way, way to expensive.

What's also very different from Calgary - is that stores of any sort are the size of a closest. Because the land is too expensive and the land space limited, Home Hardware (a Home improvement store) is forced to rent out 1600 square feet, rather than the 5000 or so square feet which they'd usually rent in Calgary. Everything is like that. Mind you, Starbucks tends to have some of the bigger lots and holy smokes, they've got many, many stores.

Weather:

Weather has been quite fantastic. When I first arrived it rained like a mofo, in fact - it rained for five days straight which in turn caused floods downtown and everywhere else. Even I had terrible internet outages and issues. Over the last couple of weeks it's been great though. Currently into spring, Vancouver's sunny days rarely get hotter than 25 degrees Celsius. The last weeks have graced with 20 degrees - perfect for shorts and t-shirts.

One thing that severely annoys me is than when it rains, I seem so depressed. Same with everyone else I suppose, but I must be honest, that's where snow is better. It's nice and white (or muddy) On the other hand, I hate my hands freezing.

Cars:

Calgary has a lot of expensive vehicles, but Vancouver blows it away. From my current housing location I've seen two Bentley Flying Spur's (following each other!!) and more than twenty 911's (all generations)

Everyday you're guaranteed to see something awesome.

Despite some of the ranting, I like Vancouver and can't wait to see what else it has in store.

No comments: