Thursday, April 19, 2007

No Cable Television!


Somebody: "Did you see that episode of Lost last night? It was awesome"

Me: "Lost, wtf is that?"

Don't take that literally, because I know what Lost is. I just thought that would be a good lead in..

As if my lack of drinking wasn't strange enough, I am here to tell you how strange I am again. I don't have Cable Television and I haven't for three years. The next question which should immediately follow is, "how the hell do you live without T.V.?"

While this sounds crazy to you T.V. addicts, everyone could live without television. It's not hard, nor do you go insane. After a while you get used to not having it, and hell, I don't mind not having to watch a bunch of garbage (whether that be news or badly directed shows) But then I suppose I am rather old school.

There are many reasons why I don't have Cable T.V. - let's start off. Firstly, even through the years when I had Cable I felt there was never anything to watch. Honestly, I've only found three new shows in the last 10 years which I thought were any good. Those being, The Trailer Park Boys (which is now ruined..), DaVinci's Inquest and Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is also ruined)

From the newer generation of shows, CSI does happen to be one which I watch more than others (when I have access to T.V), but I still find it so bloody repetitious. The cast and characters are ok, but they always seem to be the same little cliche story.

-Family member kills family member > CSI investigates > bad guy is caught > bad guy does his speech: "you have no evidence" > which leads to the CSI guys saying "oh but we do!"

Trumpet plays! blah, blah, blah

Other

Survivor has been on for like seven years..? Well guess what, I've never seen one full episode. The most I've seen of it is about five minutes and I didn't like it. 24? Yes, I've seen one episode and I thought it was interesting, but haven't followed up since.

Lost? Lol, no, I've never seen an episode. Actually one of the only mainstream shows I used to watch when it was on was The Apprentice. Of course, that's when it started off and now everything on TV is a carbon copy "reality" show.

I hate them with a passion. Yet another byproduct of a materialistic world - but then I don't want to go into that.

The worst culprit - American Idol! What a piece of garbage. Do people not see it's nothing but a business? Sure, people are displaying their talent, but the truth is American Idol is one of the smartest money making operations ever. By ensuring people to vote for their favourite they have guaranteed album sales for the individual. Click!

Of course you could always turn on the music or the news channels - but then you're most likley to be fed fear and/or have to listen to talentless hacks.

So yeah, I really find no reason to watch Television. Anyways I find going on the computer a much better use of time. It's more entertaining, especially if you're part of a website forum, etc. Aside from that, while surfing (how trendy!) and posting on the internet I can listen to music. All of that, is a much better use of my time than watching Televsion.


That's not to say I don't have a T.V. though, because I do. I use it to watch DVD seasons of older shows, watching movies and concerts as well as playing video games.
Speaking of which, I need a new T.V... My 16 year old, 32 inch Toshiba tube is finally starting to wear out. Aside from the visual connection (when connected to a console) randomly going on and off (thanks to somewhat faulty plugs in at the rear, but are easily fixed when you reposition the hanging cord) the sound system is starting to wear out. Ocassionally, the right speaker will stop functioning. Thankfully, all it takes for it to start evenly splitting the sound between the speakers is a good ol' tap. Actually, both of these problems have been on going for nearly seven months, but they are both issues which aren't serious enough stop the Television from operation. Despite the issues, I have no plan to buy a new T.V. until this one is completely shot.

Oh noes, what will I do?!? I'm not up to date with the "styles". That's true too - hell I didn't even know what a Blackberry was until six months ago when I heard somebody talking about them on the radio (yes, I listen to that "old" device) On second thought, I don't have a Blackberry, or an MP3 player or even a Cell Phone.

I better stop now, I'm getting into my "no bullshit" attitude and that ladies and gentleman, is off topic.


No comments: