Sunday, April 29, 2007

I Hate Future Shop

I hate it.

For more reasons than one. Anyways, yesterday I went to Future Shop to purchase a new CD (still a few days until Snakes & Arrows hits the streets..) and I went there with the mission of completing my Rush CD collection. Last time I checked that particular Future Shop (a month ago) they had fifteen copies of a certain Rush CD. (Rush - Gold)

It's a fantastic album no doubt, but I've already got it, hence not purchasing it again.. When I went yesterday they had the exact same fifteen or so Rush CD's. No stock update...For f*** sake, update the stock already.

I then preceded to my next choice, Tom Cochrane & Red Rider, Hoping they'd have some of those great 80's albums. I was extremely disappointed because they had twenty copies of Cochrane's new "No Stranger" album and I wasn't planning on purchasing it. They did have one "old" album though.."Mad Mad World" - but I already have it.

I then decided to check out some of my other favourite bands. Frozen Ghost and Thompson Twins. Now if you haven't the slightest idea who they are, I won't blame you. The Thompson Twins are an British 80's Synthpop band while Frozen Ghost is an 80's Canadian prog-rock band.

Did they have them? Nope. Did they have fifty Johnny Cash CD's? Yes. Did they have forty Neil Young "Live in Massey Hall" CD's? Yes, they did.

In fact, looking over the stock they had it's clear they focus on new releases only. Whores!

In the end, I did end up buying Tom Cochrane's new album, "No Stranger".


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Impressions? Well it's good, but a mere "good". Not excellent like previous Cochrane albums. At times it feels quite on dimensional and even a little flat. Definitely not typical for Tom Cochrane, especially with kick ass albums in the past like Ragged Ass Road, Mad Mad World and Victory Day.

Starting out impression was that they used a tad too much voice layering.

Highlights? Song composition is well thought out and I love the use of Piano in this album. Features much acoustic guitar and Red Rider's Ken Greer makes more than a few appearances on the album.

Song highlights at the moment are: "Didn't Mean", "White Horse", "Deep Breath" and "Rough and Tumble"


The one song that I'm still deciding whether I like is "Northern Star". It's a good tune, but it sounds a little too country for my tastes..

No comments: