Monday, April 30, 2007

"Vacancy" Review


Well finally, I got the chance to see "Vacancy".

Before we go on, I must advise I will try my best not to give the story away. However, I’m quite terrible at expressing my opinion without giving certain things away. Therefor, Spoilers contained!

Acting
Kate Beckinsale

-While it doesnt persist entirely through the movie, this has got to be the least likable character I’ve ever seen Kate Beckinsale play. For the first half she plays quite a bitch (although you find out her attitude is understandable)

-Her acting is very good in this movie and while I found myself disappointed not hearing Kate’s beautiful accent, she played her American role very well. Her American accent was perfect (as in "Click")

-For nearly all of the film, Kate looks, sounds and acts near frightened to death and as she’s said in interviews, it was a very tiring to do so. I imagine it was!

Dare I say it’s one of her better acting roles? I think I would. As far as I care, the “Underworld” films didn’t really display her true acting skills, nor did “Click” (although she was great in both). The character of Amy Fox is far less likeable and because of that I believe it’s a better display of her acting talent.
Luke Wilson

I've always liked Luke Wilson, so I wasn't surprised by his acting talents. I think he did a great job in this movie, even when the script demanded he play a more serious role than he's used to (IE. Old School & Blue Streak)


He’s definitely the more likable of the two characters, playing the heroin for nearly all of the film.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The other cast members of the film put on an impressive act too, especially the night manager who is downright creepy (and who you'd like to beat with a hammer..)


Story

The story of this movie is actually pretty frightening too. It’s not the most elaborate or original story ever written, but it keeps you on you’re toes (or at least mine..)

The constant bickering between Kate and Luke is actually kind of depressing, but once they get into the hotel it’s instantly a scare. I found myself jumping from the first scene within the hotel room, not because it was necessary scary, but because it was more a mindset scare. Good starting trait if I may say so. The overall scare is enhanced by dark film and dreary film sets. Speaking of which, the cinematography in this film is rather excellent.

Anyways, the film starts out with the Fox’s being stranded because of car problems, but they shortly find themselves in a hotel where they end up watching terrorizing videos which they soon find out have happened in the hotel.

This movie has been panned by the critics, but I don’t understand why.
Now before we go on, I must say my Kate bias is pushed away (I swear). Honestly I didn’t think “Underworld 2” was a good film, in fact I thought it was rather terrible. “Vacancy” on the other hand is downright gritty. I have a feeling the reason it was panned was because it was more of a mindset scare (rather than the "in your face" scare)

Soon enough they find themselves trying to get out of this hotel. Yet with every move, “the hotel” is steps above them.

Luke soon devises a plan to leave Kate to distract the eyes watching behind the camera while he goes out and tries to stop this, but of course that soon fails and the two of them end up on the run.

If I may be honest there are a few ridiculous scenes, such as Luke Wilson running from his own BMW 5er (driven by God knows who) and leaping into his hotel room (literally..)

Anyways, my biggest issue with this movie is it's low budget look and feel. Perhaps that's a little harsh, but it's true. You can tell it was a (very) low budget film.
Also worth mentioning, it feels a little rushed. I think that could have been avoided if the movie happened to be longer. As it is, 1 hour and 25 minutes is not the ideal amount of time to play this story out. But then again, the budget...

The End

As the movie comes towards as close it’s quite brutal for Luke Wilson’s character. Can’t say anymore without giving anything away, but I’ve heard many complaints about the ending and how it should have been more happy and cheerful, but that’s where this movie is more “Hitchcock” than "M. Night Shyamalan". Perhaps that's another reason it was panned.


Even with a few shortcomings, I found it more entertaining than the typical film in this genre (thanks to its good actors and great cinematography). Is it a must watch? If you’re expecting “The Shining” you’ll be ever so disappointed. Fans of either Kate Beckinsale and/or Luke Wilson will probably appreciate the movie for its situation in which its characters are put in.

Overall I’d give “Vacancy” 7.5 out of 10. Perhaps it sounds a little generous to some, but I think it’s appropriate. My new favourite Kate movie? I'm afraid not. That award still belongs to the first Underworld.



Spoiler/partial warning:

There is a point in this film where Beckinsale and the night manager get in a toil and it leads to the manager knocking down Kate. Then the manager repeatedly punching Beckinsale in the face. While the actual view of it was cleverly limited (with the use of a curtain) it was extremely violent. Shortly after that Kate gets slapped around and dragged up against the wall. Soon follows the night manager filming her face (with a handheld) as blood pours (well ok, streaks) from her face. Nonetheless, seeing a defenseless women get beaten is not my thing. Very sickening in my mind as well as very infuriating. If I may say so, the prick deserved a more brutal death.

No comments: