Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Unforgettable Fire

Yesterday I got the opportunity to listen to U2's 1984, The Unforgettable Fire album. I must say it had been a long time since I last listened to not only the entire album, but even an individual song from the album.

Honestly, I've done my best to stay away from U2. Why you ask? Because I'm not happy with Bono's political agenda. Yes, it's for a good cause in all, but coming from a guy who wears yellow sunglasses and a cowboy hat - I find him a little hard to take serious.


As for they're new music.. meh. It's not terrible, but as far as I see it Coldplay can outclass them (no pun intended either, I like Coldplay)

Regardless, I decided to play the CD and listening to it really brings back memories of when I first got it (about ten years ago)

U2 might have gone rotten, but The Unforgettable Fire proves they were once true musicians. It's an incredible album, in fact I'd say it's one of my top five favourites.

Now the Joshua Tree (also an album which I own) is great, but it's clear that it was more commercially driven than UFGF. The UFGF is a much stronger album, both lyrically and musically. One thing that always bothered me about The Joshua Tree is that a lot of it's songs subjects were based on love. Not a bad thing, but The Unforgettable Fire is less one dimensional.

One thing that I absolutely love about this album is the use of drums by Larry Mullen Jr. They are very strong through out the entire album and in particular, the title track and "Pride".

Adam Clayton's bass work is very frequent through out all of the songs. I'd say his highlight is within the "4th of July" (an instrumental), where the bass is infectious. Bono's lyrics and vocal level is strong. And of course, The Edge's Guitar notes are simply amazing.

On a guitar note It's interesting to hear the difference between Rush's Alex Lifeson and The Edge. The Edge's guitar notes are much shorter than Lifeson's... Anyways back to the album,

"Pride" is a superb song, as is the title track. "A Sort of Homecoming" is intoxicating, as is "Wire"

"Promenade" and "Bad" are emotionally charged, while "The 4th of July" manages to be emotionally charged, amazing and even sad. The fact that they never will make another piece of music like it again is deeply saddening.

"MLK" (It's alright) and "Elvis Presley and America" (vocals and chorus are terrible) happen to be my least favourite tracks on the album. My favourite? That would have to be "Indian Summer Sky" and in that song, one line is as follows "To lose along the way, the spark that set the flame, to flicker and fade"

Funny, that's exactly what I think has happened to U2.

No comments: