Tuesday, May 1, 2007

"Snakes & Arrows" Review


Honestly, I got a sneak peek at Snakes & Arrows about a week ago, but of course, I still bought the album. I needed to, not only because it’s amazing, but to support Rush. They deserve every penny they have (and they have many..)

Honestly, I did shed a few tears when I first heard the song by the title of "The Larger Bowl", on Snakes & Arrows. I have not heard this type of creativity, musicianship and talent for a long, long time. And I’m not just saying that because this is a new album from Rush, or new material that I’ve never heard before. It truly is, as Alex put it, one of their best works. In fact, I love this album so much it’s easily within my top five favourite albums of all time.

I can’t say that I have listened to anything in the last ten years that has given me goosebumps quite like Snakes & Arrows has. Come to think of it, I think this is the best album from Rush since Power Windows.


I know it's a bold claim, especially as Power Windows was released in 1985, but this album has quality unequalled. Both musically and lyrically it’s not only unmatched by most Rush albums, but most other musicians.

Anyhow, how do I go about explaining Snakes & Arrows?

Let me start by saying this album truly has no genre. Its half rock, half acoustic and uhh, half monster. Although forced to choose, I'd say it's folk rock.

More than a few times when listening to Snakes & Arrows did I feel I was listening to an album from Rush's heyday's (the '80's) and yet at the same time I feel it has all of qualites that will keep it sounding modern and crisp for many years to come. As for the influences, well that’s a long list, but to keep it rather short: Middle Eastern, Blues, hard rock and folk. What I cannot believe is how Rush has managed to combine all of those traits together.

For instance, the longest Instrumental on the track (The Main Monkey Business) manages to sound as if it came out of the mid 70’s.
It honestly sounds like Jethro Tull and yet at the same time carries all of Rush's late 1970 traits (Hemispheres in particular). What's also particulary interesting about this song is that a great deal of it relies on the use of Synthesizers and Rush hasn't used those since 1991 (Roll The Bones).

I cannot even use words to describe how amazing this song sounds – it’s just brilliant. How does it stack up to greats like "YYZ" and "LaVilla Stragianto"? Pretty well actually, but I'd still rate those two ahead of it. An individual on a Rush forum described TMMB as “walking through the rainforest” and I couldn’t have said any better.

As I explained in a previous post, “Malignant Narcissism” is incredible. Essentially it's a mini "YYZ" ,but it's a terrible shame that it's so damn short.

Meanwhile the third instrumental on Snakes & Arrows ("Hope") is surely a unique one. It's purely acoustic and performed by no one other than Alex. Yet again, it manages to capture all of the essences from both Rush and Jethro Tull of the 1970's. It is seriously a beautiful piece of music and I'd be surprised for anyone to tell me they don't like it.

Here's Malignant Narcissism



Songs/Meanings and etc:

Vapor Trails was an alright album, but Snakes & Arrows makes VT look terrible in all ways. I have yet to find a song witin the thirteen which I want to skip past and even my least favourites are far better than songs of the past.
Ironically, I feel “Far Cry” (the single) to be the weakest song on this album. Why? Well because I feel it’s quite repetitious. Don’t get me wrong, I like the song – but it’s the most commercially driven song on this entire album.

Second to “Far Cry”, I think “Faithless” is the second weakest. Sadly, I do not feel one particular lyrical phrase fits.

Still though, most of the songs are both lyrically and musically strong, out gunning Vapor Trails in more ways than one.
They aren’t one dimensional either; in fact a great deal of attention has been put into this album to make sure it wasn't a "typical" prog-rocker album.

One thing that I really love about this album is Geddy’s voice hasn’t been layered to death, in fact it’s quite natural. If you've read my blog from the beginning you might remember I displayed some dissapointment regarding Vapor Trails when it came to the voice layering. When it comes to Snakes & Arrows, Geddy doesn’t have the vocal length of previous albums, (due to age), but he still sounds great. This album is also the first where Geddy uses strong harmonies. Those “ooh’s” and “ahh’s” might be a turn off for some, but I think they sound great.

One perfect example is “Spindrift” which heavly relies on the use of Geddy using his voice to harmonize. Some say it's filler, but I say fits this song (and album perfectly).

"Spindrift" also happens to be one of, if not the hardest rock song on this album. It has a tone which is almost demonic and is very much reminiscent of Moving Picture’s “Witch Hunt” and Signals “The Weapon" (two songs which happen to be favourites of mine). Yet that demonic tone fades away into a light acoustic jam at 2 minutes 40 seconds (at which the lyrics lighten up - "A little closer to you, where is the wind that will carry me a little closer to you"). This awesome chorus comes in once again at 3 minutes 50 seconds and then as you think the song is gone, the demonic tone comes slamming in. Brilliant is the only word that comes to mind.

“Workin’ Them Angels” is yet another interesting song. Very catchy and beautifully crafted with fantastic acoustic moments, strong drums and an addictive guitar pace. You know what’s extremely cool about this song? Lifeson has a Mandolin solo!

Speaking of which, another interesting instrument which makes an appearance is a “Bouzouki”. It’s a strange looking guitar of Irish and Greek decent used through out the 20th century.

And, oh I how I love “Bravest Face”. Aside from the general song composition being amazing, its lyrics are so true to life.

Interestingly enough Neil’s lyrics carry many “Heaven” references, both through out its song titles and lyrics. When I originally read they would be like that, I wasn’t too impressed, perhaps thinking a degree of softness. I was outright wrong though, the lyrics are powerful and yet so true. These lyrics speak a particular picture which no Rush album has done since Grace Under Pressure (which at the time was focusing on Communism). The song “Armor & Sword” makes yet another perfect example of this, bringing out a strong point forcing the lyrics “no one gets to their Heaven without a fight”

Check out Armor & Sword here:



If you aren’t familiar with Rush’s drummer (Neil Peart), you won’t know that he is one of the best lyricists in Canada (and someone who has written nearly all of Rush’s lyrics since ’75)

You also won't know that Mr. Peart doesn't believe in God.

In Rush tradition, the song meanings are carried out through the packaging. The album cover design is from a Middle Eastern Snakes and Ladders game board which represents the meaning of life. Meanwhile this strange “snake eating tail” photo was drawn by Huge Syme (the artist they have used for sixteen or so album covers), but most importantly it represents immortality.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What makes the Snakes & Arrows packaging even more interesting is that each song has its own artwork. For instance, the “Spindrift” lyrics are set onto a background of waves crashing. “Armor & Sword” is laid onto a picture of a medieval helmet and sword.




courtesy of www.cygnus-x1.net

Anyways, back to those songs!


"The Way The Wind Blows" is one of those songs which has a message, but it's not hard to decipher. It's a powerful song, to say the least and it's full of instrumental mastery. Here are part of the lyrics for you to digest:

Now it's come to this
Wide-eyed armies of the faithful
From the Middle East to the Middle West
Pray, and pass the ammunition
So many people think that way
You gotta watch what you say
To them and them, and others too
Who don't seem to see to things the way you do

“Good News First” is somewhat of a spooky song. As far as I can tell it describes the situation between Neil Peart and his wife who suffered from cancer, and who unfortunately died in 1997. Neil Peart is vague about the song meaning, but throws a few mentions of it.

Here are the lyrics for you to analyze (I've cut out a few lines, so this is not the whole song..)

The saddest words you could ever say
But I know you'll remember that day
And the most beautiful words I could ever say
There's more trouble ahead
So never mind the bad news
Let's have the good news instead

Some would said they never fear a thing

Well I do
And I'm afraid enough for both of us
For me and you
Time, if nothing else, will do it's worst
So do me that favor
And tell me the good news first


In my humble opinion it focuses on Neil Peart's wife telling him she has Cancer. Hence, "remember that day". Did I mention it's lyrics are set onto a picture of a burial mound with a newspaper flying through the air that's displaying the headline "Cure Discovered"?

My overall favourite at the moment has to be “The Larger Bowl”. I just love the quiet starting off acoustic layout and the powerful lyrics. The constant switch between acoustic and electric guitar is sure to go down in Rush history and the guitar solo, is spine chilling! Seriously, I'd say it has one of the best guitar solos, ever.

“We Hold on”, fits perfectly as the album closer. Displaying the lyrics:

Keep holding on so long

Cause there’s a chance that we might not be so wrong
We could be down and gone
But we hold on

I think the point here is to display not giving up. In more ways then one too: the world, Neil Peart’s tragedies and lastly, Rush themselves. 1997 could have been the end of Rush, but it wasn’t.

So as you probably noticed, I said the near identical thing for each song. Truthfully, it’s hard to put words to songs that are as brilliant as these are. Any disappointments? Nope, in fact I’ve got to admit that Snakes & Arrows is a far better album than what I expected. I expected it to be good, but not so good that I could compare it to the 80's greats.

Let me end by saying, there is no album that will be released in 2007 that will sound anything like it, actually I'd go as far as saying possibly ever again. It’s a masterpiece not only among Rush’s thirty plus year history, but among music. Now, I won't be surprised if hardcore Rush fans don't like this album. It's certainly not the "norm" for them, but then I ask: When has Rush ever stuck to one music style? The answer is never. Look at the evolution of them over the last three decades. Power Windows is a far cry from 2112 as Snakes & Arrows is a far cry from Hold Your Fire. My advice is to give it to some time before you dismiss it.

Oh and the “Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame” which refuses to induct Rush because they’ve never followed the trends, can eat a shoe (Perhaps one of Neil’s old tennis shoes...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree it is the best they have done in a while but I still don't think it is the same level as the 80's time period.
There are not as many guitar solos and since I love Alex's leads that is never a good thing. I am not from the "less is more" school. I want more. I like the solos on the new album but I just need more.
The larger bowl to me sounds too repetitive. It is the same thing over and over with variations on itself. It could almost be a nursury rhyme. I like it, but I can't listen to it too much.
The way the winds blows has too much of a whiny voice. It almost sounds like Geddy is crying.
Spindrift sounds so awesome through the intro and first part of the song then sounds like a totally different song with the "A little closer to you". The whole tone of the song changes at that point and I guess that is what they wanted to do with that but I am not a big fan of that part. It is like two conflicting parts put together. Anyway, thats just my opinion. I still love the album.

BruceMcc said...

Hello Travis,

I hope that if you read my entire review you were able to actually understand what I was saying. I wrote the majority of that particular post in a hurry; I hope it's legible.

Anyways,

Glad to hear you're opinions/thoughts.

My personal opinions on what particular songs are my favourites has changed quite a bit since the albums release. I have a newfound appreciation for Far Cry, Armor & Sword and The Way the Wind Blows.

My absolute favourite? Well, it's a tie between A&S, Spindrift and Good News First (I know that last one is not hugely popular, but I love it)

The Larger Blow is now one of my least favourite songs on the album. That's not to say I dislike it though.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

R/Bruce