Monday, October 29, 2007

Emo's & Their Activities

So what about 'em? Well, it had recently occurred to me that I had yet to write a post about this supposed new sub-culture of Goths which we refer to as "Emo's". If you haven't a clue as to what an "emo" is - which honestly would surprise me - check Wikipedia's entry HERE.

Anyways, it's no secret that those classified as "emo's" are not openly welcomed by the general public. They are most always criticized, ridiculed, made fun of - you name it, actually. Often they're stereotyped as "Satan Worshippers", "drug addicts", "suicide-thinkers", "depressives", "complainers" and God knows what else. Talk to most anyone, and they'll say: "emo's, what a bunch of losers".


Though here and now, I have something to get off my chest. Something which I haven't told even my closest of buddies (until now) for the fear of them not understanding. I don't see why everyone hates them so much. Now don't get me wrong, I'm as guilty as anyone for making jokes in relevance to them, but deep down, I do it purely it for personal entertainment and think no where as little of these people as some do. It's just a sub-culture, it's nothing evil or demonic. Truth be told, tis no different that some materialistic metrosexual bastard who buys things for self satisfaction and boast-ability. I think no less, or no more of them than the emo culture. And I pose the question regarding their complaining: are they really that different than "us"? Hell, I know tons of people who are nothing similar to that of am emo and complain to no-end. And myself... I complain all of the time; non-stop in fact. Yet, I'm not an emo. If complaining makes me emo, we might as include everyone who has a Blog and a MySpace too.

In any event, another reason why I wrote this post is because I once knew a girl who was pretty much an emo. She didn't have dyed hair, nor ghostly makeup, but she did wear lots of strange black clothing (long coats), complained to no end, and had somewhat of a boys haircut. And despite that, we became great friends and no, she didn't draw satanic circles on her bedroom floor. Nah, she was just normal. Admittedly though, I know that she had the hots for me, and thus is most likely the reason she befriended me in the first place - though we were never Boyfriend and Girlfriend.

And though I'm not into the whole emo thing, I wouldn't have any issue dating someone who is a bit of a emo or social outcast; whatever you wish to call 'em.

No comments: