Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Getting Drunk

After further contact with even more Elementary School friends since my last post, I have come to one conclusion: people love to get drunk. Thus is certainly not new news to anyone, but it's just surprising to see some of my friends when they are drunk as hell. And in my mind, it always leads back to the emblematic thoughts about my drinking, or lack thereof.

In case you didn't already know, let me put this in the simplest of terms. I don't drink and have never been drunk. And never means never. I haven't a clue as to what it's like to be drunk. Unbelievable, eh? Especially at my age; the age when people are supposed to be out there getting hammered with their friends.

The only slight clue as to what it's like, is what my Father tells me. He just says you "feel loose" accumulating what is best described as "not giving a shit about anything". *I laughed*

It's weird you know. I've always strayed away from Alcohol as I've never trusted it's side effects on the body. I really dislike the fact that one's reactions are
diluted by a substance, nor do I like that an entire night can be forgotten by heavy drinking. I like to be in control of myself 100% of the time.

Nevertheless, I'd be lying If I said I haven't thought about trying an alcoholic beverage once or twice. In fact, I imagine I'll take the leap in the next couple of months. One thing's for sure though, when I do it, I'll do it alone. I'd like to feel the side effects from my point of view with no one around.

If there's any upside to not drinking, it's probably peoples reactions to the fact that you don't drink. When you tell someone that you don't drink, they are often left stuttering, curious, wondering what could possibly be wrong. "Oh my God, is he an alcoholic?" People overtly act like you're from space - which manages to be both sad and hilarious at the same time. When you tell people you haven't been drunk... their eyes pop out and their head unscrews.
"what could be the reason? Is is because his parent's were alcoholics?"

The best way I can explain this is like this: Often do teenagers like to rebell against parents and obviously, drinking happens to be a common way in which most teenagers rebell against their parents at a young age. But you see, my parents never told me "do this, don't do that". Nah, so I hadn't any reason to rebell by sneaking off and drinking with friends.

Ahh well, what can you do? When I do eventually get drunk, I'll be sure to post my initial reactions.


In the meantime, if anyone has any comments on what it's like "the first time", please do leave a comment.

No comments: