Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Crime Scene Investigation

As you might recall, in a previous post I slammed Jerry Bruckheimer's television crime drama: CSI: Las Vegas. I stated it as hugely predictable, obvious and down right ridiculous.

Although I must admit that my previous assumptions were all based upon earlier episodes and as a result I've some retraction to do as I've recently watched a few of the newer episodes.

Over the past week or so I've managed to watch more than a few of the later-season episodes (five, six & seven) and cannot believe how improved they were from the earlier cliche works which had originally turned me away from the show. What I noticed immediately is how these episodes greatly differed when it came to portraying an actual story line. They weren't/aren't overly intelligent, but they aren't overly idiotic either. They actually require a train of thought as the "bad guys" are no longer predictable nor are the crimes themselves.

For once, I don't feel as If I'm wasting 45 minutes of life on mindless television. Yippe!

However my biggest disappointment with the show still remains and that happens to be the script which the actors deliver. You know, usually obvious and quite trite, but I can understand the purpose of explaining obvious things. Let's face it, 85% (more?) of human beings are absolute fools. Hell, you could say I'm one too..oh well.

Still though, even with the idiotic scripts there appears to be a lot of dark humour. I'm surprised to hear myself laughing at the simplest of jokes and it's not the jokes per se, but the way in which they are said.


Also on the list of idiotic scripting is the "hot shot" attitude which more than half of the character's portray. This is where either the criminal or one of the CSI employees cracks off an semi intelligent, quirky and odd comment. Mind you, I do feel most of the characters can comfortably pull it off, but Marg Helenberger (or as we know her, "Catherine") simply cannot. Every time the script demands she utter one of these comments I cringe and sometimes suffer from uncontrollable laughter. I cannot take her seriously!

Anyways, on the subject of characters I'd say without a doubt my favourite character would have to be Paul Guilfoyle (CSI Name: Jim Brass). Not only is his character entertaining, funny and quirky, but his acting is arguably the best on the show. Second to him, the rest of the male crew are great actors. I can't say there isn't one of I don't appreciate (boths as actors and characters).

Sadly, I feel the female aspect of the show is much weaker. Having said that, Jorja Fox (CSI Name: Sarah Sidle) is without a doubt my favourite female character on the show. I don't find her the least bit annoying and to top it off I think she's a pretty reasonable actor.

Now I'm not saying CSI is a masterpiece because it clearly isn't. However, I'll now give it a little more credit than I previously did. I'm actually looking forward to watching a new episode..

On the contrary, I watched a few episodes of CSI: New York the other day and it was awful in every way imaginable.