Monday, July 2, 2007

Best Drummer/Percussionist Ever?

Damnit! I tell ya, I have never felt more addicted to music than I do at this exact moment.

Admittedly and on average, listen to music at least six hours a day. You might ask how I am able to do such a thing with school work, etc. It's quite simple - I just do. Anytime that I'm writing a car article for AutoSavant.net I'm rocking out to music, whenever I'm surfing Internet forums - I'm listening to music and lastly, I'm most always listening to music when I'm writing a Blog post (and yep - I am as I write this particular post).

Anyhow, on the subject of music, I'd like to mention that I rather enjoyed my last major music post about Geddy Lee's bass guitars and what-not. That being said, I thought I'd make yet another music post, but this time go on to explain who I think is the best drummer/percussionist in the world is.

Such a question doesn't require much thought on my part - It's the one and only, Neil Peart

I know what you're thinking..

"Wait a minute, isn't Neil Peart the drummer for you're favourite band, Rush? Fanboy alert!"

Call me what you will, but take note that I couldn't care if you disagree, or happen to think I'm a fanboy. Nevertheless, I wouldn't go as far as to make such a claim without explaining my reasoning. After all, a lack of reasoning mightmake me look misinformed, idiotic and rather biased.

Now, I'm not going to go into a large debate as to who I think the best drummer in the world is, but to explain it in the simplest of terms - I believe Neil Peart to be the best drummer in the world not only because he has amazing ability, but also because I believe him to be one of, if not the most creative drummer of all time.

That being said, I've always gone on the concept of the best things (drummers, automobiles, etc) not necessarily being defined by actually ability, but rather the enthusiasm and creativity in they're execution. Or in other words, the fastest 'this and that' shouldn't always be considered the best.

With that in mind, folks often say imply that drumming competition such as Jon Bonham, Mike Portnoy and Buddy Rich could drum circles around Neil Peart. I, of course, think that's absolutely absurd, but it is their opinion..

Drumming Performances

I am of the opinion (and I know that I'm not alone) that while drums solos performed by Jon Bonham and Buddy Rich are excellent, they had a tendency to get a tad boring. Ok, scratch that - awfully boring. Frankly, this is where I believe Peart is above other drummers. He doesn't just bang wooden sticks on cymbals - he makes it an art by applying his specific and unique styles to the instrument.

Of course, if Peart wasn't a good drummer, I obviously would not have made the claim implicating him as the best drummer in the world. However, whether you think Neil Peart is the best drummer in the world or not, his drumming abilities cannot not be called to question.

Such ability not only shines through his solo performances, but also through out much of Rush's music. While Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson write the primary drumming parts for each of Rush songs, it's Neil who adds many of those little
high-hat splashes and what-not.

Watch Neil play drums to 'Subdivisions' (live at the 2004 Frankfurt R30 concert)


Truthfully though, it is indeed his solo performances which back up my claims. What makes a Peart solo so interesting to listen to is the way he use of different styles which he implements. Rarely are his solo's repetitious as they go through a journey of different sound which always make them eventful.

Such is evident by the fact that his solo's have spurts of not only African drumming, but also quirky features as an electronic xylophone, electronic drums, cow bells and last but certainly not least, various sets of chimes. Sounds impressive does it not? What he is able to do with them is even more impressive, see for yourself:

"O Baterista" - live in Rio (2003, 'Vapor Trails' tour)


Now honestly, Mr. Peart doesn't have a great deal of solo's - in fact, he's only got about four. Come to think of it, that's pretty impressive, but what you should know is that those particular four happen to share many drumming parts with each other. His solo "Der Trommler" is more or less, a played-backwards version of his 2002 solo, "O Baterista". My intention here is not to take credit away from Neil - just making a few things apparent. Either way, this doesn't bother as the solo's don't sound overly recycled - even if they do share a few parts.

I'd say it's safe to say that the drums parts which have stayed through out his solo for year's, are now considered his trademark(s). Those particular trademarks being the middle-section rhythmic cow bells and of course, the Buddy Rich inspired classical Jazz finale. Oh yes, Neil Peart is a huge Buddy Rich fan.

'Der Trommler' - live in Frankfurt (2004, 'R30' Tour)



New Solo

With the announcement of the 2007 'Snakes & Arrows' tour, most of us Peart fans were hoping that Neil would compose an entirely different solo, but we (yes, we are a pack!) made sure not to get our hopes up. Thankfully, Neil decided to compose a new solo and for those who were at the first show of the tour (June 13th in Atlanta) treated to a wonderful thing. Thanks to a bootleg of the concert I was able to hear this particular solo just a day after the concert was performed.
My first impressions?

I got chills down the back of my spine. Does that explain enough of my first impressions? It is, excuse my language, fucking awesome.

How do I go about describing it? Well, let's just say that it's mostly performed on his electronic drums (which are located at the rear of his kit). The overall sound is something reminiscent to pipes being smashed in a hollow tunnel. Does that make sense? I'll let you be the judge..




I love how Neil kept his trademark cow bell rhythm, but rather than performing it on his usual set of cow bells, decided to use his electronic xylophone.

Others Qualities

Other qualities which make Peart so great are the fact that he has a drum kit like few others. Is there a drum kit cooler than the "SS Professor"? With it's gold plated stalks, black glitter paint, red stripes and various album symbols, I think not!


Furthermore, as Neil is the prime lyricist for Rush and has written over 200 songs (many of which boast superb and intelligent meanings), I think it's safe to say he is not only among Canada's best song writers - but also among lyricists anywhere.

So there you go. Those are the reasons why I believe Neil Peart is the best drummer/percussionist in the world.

Watch Neil play drums to 'Tom Sawyer' (live at the 2004 Frankfurt R30 concert)

No comments: