Tuesday, March 13, 2007

New Album from Rush, Snakes and Arrows


Rush







What a hell of a ride it has been for the Canadian band, Rush. Seriously, the three-man band, consisting of Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee and Neil Peart have now been together for 33 years (well ok, 32 excluding 2007). On May 1st, Rush releases their 19th album and it's called Snakes & Arrows

Perhaps a little history lesson for you (and I actually), on how I became such a big Rush fan. Well it was three years ago when I became hooked to Rush and I now set them as the standard in my music collection. I had heard the name "Rush" many times, but wasn't sure who they were. In fact, the reason I did not "find" them earlier was because my dad was not a fan of the band, and because much of my great music taste was adapted from him I trusted his word and ignored Rush. However I couldn't ignore them forever, especially when the radio stations kept playing Tom Sawyer. Over and over, and I couldn't get enough of it. Eventually, I did buy a Rush album, and that album was Moving Pictures.

Initially I had purchased Moving Pictures simply for Tom Sawyer, but I did end up listening to the whole album. One after another: Lime Light, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Witch Hunt... I couldn't get enough, in fact Rush became my favourite band after I had listened to this album. Boy oh boy, is it fantastic. I must be honest though, the only song I wasn't "sure" about was Vital Signs, I thought it sounded a little too ..what's the word? Fast paced? I don't know..

After gloating on Moving Pictures for months I heard another song on the radio, one called "The Spirit of the Radio". Wow, I couldn't believe how amazing this song was, especially with it's mix of blues, reggae and hardrock. After that, shortly followed Subdivisions, which I had purchased Rush - Gold to listen to. Through that album I was able to experience Rush's earlier music (2112, Free Will, The Trees) as well as the later prog-rock 80's tunes (Mystic Rhytmns, Time Stand Still and Force Ten.)

I feel as if I am mumbling..perhaps I am. It's not easy to explain my thoughts on this great band, all I can tell you is I've currently got nine CD's , as well as 1.2GB's of music on my computer from these kick ass guys. What most amazes me is that they have continued to make great music through all of these years.

Signals - Without a doubt, a fantastic album.

Grace Under Pressure - Skeptics step aside, love this one too.

Power Windows - Not as good as GUP, or Signals - but still amazing

Of course as time has passed on, I feel Rush's overall song list has declined. Some of the later albums (Presto, Roll The Bones) didn't quite have the same number of hits - but those which were hits were fantastic.

Anyways!

I've just listened to the new single, Far Cry on Rush's site (
http://www.rush.com/)

Naturally, being a Rush fan for three years I think it sounds fantastic. It's amazing how many great songs Rush has produced over the last three decades, this is yet another great one. The general hard rock reminds me of Rush's 2002 Vapor Trails album and that's a good thing. One thing that dissapointed me about Vapor Trails was how Lee's voice was slightly "perfected", as a result it didn't seem that natural. Having said that, Earthshine was and is a fantastic tune (So is Secret Touch and Ghost Rider.)

One thing I have noticed about Rush's Vapor Trails, is that in my opinion the songs sound better live than they do in the studio. One can check out those songs live on
R30 and Rush in Rio.

Anyways, sorry for detracting from Snakes & Arrows. The thing I noticed about this album (or at least Far Cry) is that Geddy's voice sounds more natural than it did in Vapor Trails. It's amazing in fact, proving the 53 year old front man still has plenty of talent and ability left. I can't believe I have to wait nearly two months for the album to be released :(

You know what's even more exciting than a new album from Rush? A concert tour for a new album! That's what they'll be doing very soon, a summer tour is planned and hope to hell they come to Vancouver.

Bravo Rush (Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee and Neil Peart) for 30+ years of great music.


No comments: